Monday 11 July 2011

Therapy

Apart from the fact that it's Monday, today has been a bit of a drama. Back at my regular waitressing day job it was quiet this morning, clearly the cold left our regulars too stunned to leave the house, or so I think.
Then I had a diner who ordered chicken caesar salad, no anchovies. So I brought it over with the dressing, to which he asked, 'are there any anchovies in this? Because if I have them I will die'. 
Now, I know allergies pretty well, and thought I knew food pretty well too, so I assured him there weren't any in the dressing. On my way back to the kitchen I double checked with the chef to which he replied, 'yes'. 
I nearly died, and so did he! I ran back just in time to save him. I grabbed the plate of dressing and apologised I think about a hundred times.
I felt physically ill afterwards just thinking what might have been.
I'm afraid I wasn't prepared for Chicken Caesar today as a recipe, sorry to disappoint! I don't really make it but I'll keep it up my sleeve for another time.

After a rather emotionally exhausting day, it's time for some therapy. The carbohydrate sort. 
Pasta! Hooray!
I had some left over in the fridge, and since my fridge is brimming with fresh herbs at the moment I'm going for gold.

I love having cooked pasta in the fridge, it's so quick and easy to turn it into a meal for one. Plus, it's a welcome change from toast. I need more today, it was rough!

Chilli Olive Spaghetti with Basil, and Rocket Salad for one

Bowl of cooked pasta
Drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Freshly cracked black pepper
Pinch of salt
6 marinated olives chopped
Small handful of grated Parmesan
6 Basil leaves chopped coarsely
Handful of rocket
Dry chilli flakes to taste

In a bowl toss the olives, olive oil, salt and pepper through the pasta and microwave on high for about a minute stirring half way.

No microwave? Just heat on the stove in a pan until warmed through.

Toss through basil leaves and rocket and finish with chilli and and grated parmesan. 

Notes: 

* Use any olives you like, kalamata is good, as are green olives.
I used green olives marinated in rosemary and chilli. 

I marinated a big batch during the Easter break earlier this year. It's the best time to do them, they're in season and there's plenty of time for splitting and soaking, and cleaning the mess up!

Anyway I'll write about those another time.

** To make your pasta look awesome, once you've tossed everything through, get a fork and twirl all the spaghetti around it in the bowl. Then lightly lift it, while removing the fork, so it stands proud and tall. I got this trick from a Donna Hay magazine. It only works if you don't break the pasta, so don't break the pasta!

*** Eating your emotions is good therapy after a hard day...

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to eating some of your emotions for dinner tonight. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I'm hungry now. And It's too late for everything apart from Carlton chocolates.

    ReplyDelete